Or maybe next week!
3.0.8 isn't a full content patch, but it might as well be for all the changes to the various classes. And no one, mechanically, is changed quite so much as the feral druid this time around. I've reviewed many of these changes before in different posts, so for avid readers a lot of this will be happy and redundant - but it's always nice to have this stuff in one place, no?
- Feral armor in bear form (and moonkin, if you really care) is changing significantly. All bonus armor on leather and cloth and all armor on rings, trinkets, amulets and weapons will not receive any armor multipliers from Dire Bear form, survival of the fittest or thick hide. This means only base armor on leather and on cloaks will be multiplied. To compensate for this, survival of the fittest will be giving a 22/44/66% bonus to armor, making the final bear armor multplier be 8.58. This has the following big consequences:- - - most bears without armor trinkets or with not optimal gear will see their armor improve significantly
- well-geared bears will see their armor decrease
- the ilvl of the leather armor matters more (but not too amazingly; we're talking about 8-10 armor points per item)
- Defender's code is no longer an 'always wear' trinket but instead should be worn situationally for hard hitting bosses; Offering of Sacrifice, Badge of Tenacity and any other marginal armor trinkets are now not worth investing in or wearing.
- Darkmoon Card:Greatness, Valor Medal of the First War and Essence of Gossamer (among others) becomes far more valuable and usable
- Most rings, amulets, weapons and cloaks with extra armor remain best in slot, though some dodge-heavy items and some agility-heavy items become more usable
Actions before the patch: start saving up for that Darkmoon card! Also stop killing yourself running Gun'Drak and instead kill yourself running Azjol-Nerub.
Actions after the patch: switch out your Defender's code for most bosses (Patchwerk and enraged Faerlina are the only ones I can think of that hit so hard you'd want it) and be on the lookout for sidegrades.
- Druids can train polearms!
- The trainer is in Stormwind/Undercity
Actions before the patch: see if you can get a Black Ice if you don't already have Journey's End. It drops from Malygos Normal, and it's a great kitty weapon.
Actions after the patch: train polearms and start rolling on hunter loot!
- Feral Attack Power is no longer something on items specifically. Any weapon that a druid can use will have its DPS converted to Feral Attack Power when a druid looks at it automatically.
- 2-handed maces, polearms, and feral staves all are viable weapons for cats!
- no real changes for bears though - the high armor and stamina on the tanking staves (Origin of Nightmares, Enraged Feral Staff, Staff of the Plague Beast) stay superior
- Inevitable Defeat is really really nice for cats - but not as nice as Black Ice
Actions before the patch: see if you can get an Inevitable Defeat (if you don't have Journey's End or Black Ice)
Actions after the patch: start rolling on even more hunter loot!
- Cats will be getting swipe!
- it will cost 50 energy, never provide combo points and is affected by all talents that affect swipe
- This isn't as awesome as it sounds; 50 energy (even berserked) is pretty expensive, and unlike bears you aren't likely to be able to infinitely swipe multiple mobs, since you don't get energy back on crits
Actions before the patch: nothing special.
Actions after the patch: First, go train this. You might consider respecing if you're primarily cat to get the swipe bonus buffs, but I doubt you should; it's really not that great. Make sure you have savage roar up before swiping in any case. Ideally you'd have savage roar up, then tiger's fury to 100 energy, then berserk for maximum damage - but those ideal states don't happen often.
- Mangle will do less damage/threat. This was due to a bug in how savage fury multiplied mangle. Mangle will do about 15% less now. Rake, however, should do significantly more.
Actions before the patch: enjoy manglespam and berserking threat.
Actions after the patch: possibly respec to get better cat dps if you're a bear, and start using swipe more. Also, this will mean that swipe will be pretty competitive with mangle in terms of threat; it may be worth it to pull the three points out of imp mangle and move them elsewhere. I'll do more math on this later :)
- The 4pT7 bonus also will reduce Tiger's Fury's cooldown by 3 seconds.
- This is about a 2% DPS increase without taking into account anything else
- This is probably not worth missing out on the superior other items that you can get in various slots
- Still, it's nice to have
Actions before & after the patch: depending on your gear, consider buying more T7 loot, but don't kill yourself doing it.
- Handwraps of Preserved History are going from best in slot to nice, but meh
Actions before the patch: have some badges ready to buy the T7.10 gloves, or roll on the T7.25 gloves, or get some deadly/hateful gloves
Actions after the patch: start using those new gloves.
- The Wintergrasp vendor will be selling a nice pair of Hateful boots and a good Hateful head
Actions before the patch: run wintergrasp as much as you can until you've saved up enough shards for it
Actions after the patch: if you need a decent starting helm/feet, these are good. Especially the helm.
- A new +50 stamina enchant to weapons is coming out for a ridiculously expensive cost! The cost will be (currently) 4 dream shards and a bar of titansteel, which isn't so bad - but the cost of the enchantment itself is 5 abyss crystals. Ouch.
Actions before the patch: save up on enchanting materials
Actions after the patch: go get Mongoose! Mongoose comes out to be about 42 agility, which is almost always better than 50 stamina. The sole exception I can think of is Sarth3D right now, but it's probably not worth getting a second weapon and enchanting it just for that.
- Inks of the Sea can be used to buy snowfall inks
Actions before the patch: buy up ink of the sea for cheap if you can and you've not already gotten your DM:G
Actions after the patch: cash in on those snowfall inks and get yourself some darkmoon cards
- Leatherworking patches will require a frozen orb in addition to the current mats
Actions before the patch: if you're a non-leatherworker, buying a couple patches now is a good idea. If you're a leatherworker, making a few patches now is a good idea.
Actions after the patch: if you're a leatherworker, selling those patches you made is a really good idea :)
- Emblems of Valor can be turned in for Emblems of Heroism
Actions before & after the patch: I honestly don't know why you'd want to do it, but at least you can do it. Maybe for Mirror of Truth? There just aren't that many things outside of the chest/gloves that I'd want as a bear or a cat from emblems of heroism.
- Strength is being removed from all 2H staves to make it nicer for hunters
Actions before the patch: if you're a bear, pass that Journey's End to the hunter since it's best in slot for 'em and it's offspec for you. If you're a cat and a hunter wants to roll on it, beat them with a tire iron.
Actions after the patch: watch hunters start rolling on druid loot! (or if you're like my guild, cry yourself to sleep a bit as two hunters have already gotten it)
- For you stamina freaks, Greater Inscription of the Gladiator (30 stam to shoulders) is being added for 10k honor
Actions before the patch: start getting that honor
Actions after the patch: for Sarth3D (or if you're lazy with Hodir rep) this might be a good alternative shoulder enchant. Otherwise, stick with the Hodir dailies.