And they're horrible for ferals.
Note that ferals are one of the classes that have had the least amount of time spent on their tree. Expect this to change drastically in the near future. Which is good, because as it stands things are totally broken.
Here's some of the things I know about that are broken that need to be addressed at some point in the Cataclysm iteration:
- Predatory Strikes is a mandatory talent. Not useful at all for bears, and only marginal use for cats.
- Primal Fury is missing the extra combo point generation for cats. So it's a bear only talent.
- Bears want all 9 talent points at tier 2. Cats want 5 at best.
- A cat must take either improved feral charge or thick hide.
- A bear must take charge or King of the Jungle (which isn't that good unless you're using 4pT10 or they remove the armor loss on enrage) unless they spent all 9 points in tier 2.
- In order to progress, a cat must take one point in nurturing instinct, infected wounds or primal fury.
- There's no improved leader of the pack.
- A cat needs to take Survival Instincts to progress. Or natural reaction, I suppose.
Tier 6 and 7 are 'fine', though Rend & Tear has been reduced to a 3 point talent without changing the scaling (so a nerf from 20% to 12%). Nom Nom Nom has stayed in. Berserk is largely useless for bears, but more on that later.
Resto tier 1:
- Furor has been changed to a 3 point talent (yay) but the scaling has not changed, so it only does a 60% chance no matter what (boo). Bears can choose between boosting their claw and shred damage by 4% or reducing their shapeshifting costs. Yay.
Resto tier 2:
- There is nothing worth getting for cats past furor and blessing of the grove. For bears, they want perseverance. Even then, it's only 8 points total in the tree.
- If you ever had primal precision, you will have 10 expertise.
- Combo point generation for cats is horrible without getting extra CPs from crits.
- Rake bleeds crit for only 1.5x damage.
- Improved feral charge does not work at all.
- Thrash does not have any interaction with swipe at all.
- Mangle debuff lasts for 12 seconds.
- The mangle ability you get at lvl 10 is the mangle debuff and not the actual mangle attack.
- Faerie fire (cat) doesn't exist.
- Bleeds do not scale with haste.
- Energy regen does not scale with haste.
- Nom Nom Nom does not function (does nothing for rip duration less than 25%)
- Shred's cost is not reduced
- There is no crit damage multiplier for cats (so it's base 200%)
- Ferals lost 10% AP
- No improved leader of the pack - no mana regen or health.
- Innervate scales with the caster's mana, not the target.
- Pulverize still does almost no damage compared to maul.
- Mangle does very little damage compared to maul.
- Swipe's scaling is horrible and does about 1/4 the damage it does on live
- faerie fire costs 15 rage
- Savage Defense scales statically with AP.
Some of these will be addressed really soon. Others will be addressed as we figure out balance. In any case, it's not exactly fun to play a feral right now; you have to spam claw.
That's right, claw.
It'll get better. Don't panic! But don't think that things are all that hawt right now. If I don't mention a lot, it's because there's not a lot to mention.